Tuesday, November 15, 2011

How can a Wood Pecker make that much of a sound ?

I live in So. Wisconsin on a quiet back country road. I get up at day break (sometimes). This AM there was absolutely zero wind. Temp- 70. Birds just a chirpping. Then I heard this Wood Pecker looking for it's breakfast in a tree. What a beautifull racket it was making. How it keeps from hurting it's beek is beyound me. I could hear it 200 ft. away.|||The Woodpecker has a remarkable skull construction (and a Hard beak)





Which consists of several hollow chambers which act as shock absorbers and this allows the rapid head movements when hitting the tree or object of it's intentions.





This is the simplest way to put the answer to your question.|||It has a hard beak, and it's tongue wraps around it's skull to help protect its brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment