Friday, November 18, 2011

How unhealthy is beef jerky?

As it comes across from the packaging, beek jerky has very little fat (1g per small packet), and very little calories to it.





I've also heard that it could be lined up to replace pork scratchings in the UK because they're so much better for you.





What's the truth about it all? It tastes good, so sods law it'll probably be bad for me in some way. Salt content maybe?





Any advice would be greatly received as living in the UK, I know very little about a US product like this.|||If you're buying the pre-packaged stuff, there are a lot of chemicals in it. If you're buying it from a small vendor, or making it yourself, there is going to be less salt, and little to no chemical additives or preservatives.





You are correct, there is little to no fat. When I make mine, I have the butcher trim all the fat off. Nothing but pure protein.|||Aside from the fact that it might be more difficult to digest (because its dried), the only bad thing I can think of is the HUGE salt content and perhaps the preservatives. But if you don't care about those things, well....

No comments:

Post a Comment